Thursday 14 January 2016

Kitchen Sewing

I took advantage of a sale to pick up some Insul-bright last weekend. I thought a few hot pads and coasters would be a good way to use up some scraps and play around with colours. Instead, I found some extra quilt blocks left over from previous projects. I had several parallelogram blocks from my Lone Wolf quilt that I turned into a little coaster/hot pad set. It was kind of fun to move them all around to make a design.


I used a layer of Insult-Bright and a layer of batting in between the two pieces of fabric. The inside layers made the hot pads nice and thick and gave the quilting great texture. I ended up with a 12" square that could work as a table runner, or a large hot pad. I also made two 6" squares that fit my morning oatmeal bowl perfectly.


I enjoyed straight-line quilting such a small project, it was satisfying to finish. I didn't enjoy the binding as much, as it somehow seemed more finicky in the miniature. I do like how the lighter blue borders the blocks, though.





I used this blue and white crosshatch on the back.


I had four pairs of flying geese blocks that I turned into a hot pad as well. I haven't gotten around to binding it yet, but I'll share it when I do. I have a few more finished and soon to be finished projects to share as well.

How do you use up spare blocks? Do you have a favourite pattern for scraps?



4 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I love the blue binding. It's a great print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like those fabrics. The simple straight line quilting was a perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colours and the angles in these. The binding on minis is really difficult isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for these, love the prints and your designs. I have a bunch of spare blocks that I haven't done anything with, but I've made some into pillows, doll quilts, pouches, and other things. It's fun to re-purpose them!

    ReplyDelete