Saturday 13 June 2015

June Sewing Space

Hello out there!

It's been so long since I posted - middle of June already. And yet, I've been so busy with sewing, among many other things. Only two more weeks of school! Summer is so close I can taste it.


I have 3 finished quilt tops waiting to be quilted! One of them is from the fall - Tornado - and it's almost its turn to go see the long-arm quilter. The other two are recent, from a new pattern I've written and I can't wait to share them. One more month and I hope to release the pattern as a PDF. It's a big quilt, measuring 87" x 99" and includes 10 variations, with about 25 more that I'll probably post on the blog or send out with the pattern. The first one is for me and the second is a gift. They're the same pattern but very different. I was so excited about it and on a mission that I sewed it up in about 3 weeks, I think. 

Here are some sneak peaks, that you may have seen before if you follow me on Instagram. 

The palette for the first quilt, with a batik for the backing
Cotton and Steel. Black and Cream and Purple. I hope I haven't given too much away. 
Bias edges

I went to a free-motion quilting class for beginners and played around a little on some quilt sandwiches. I have a lot of quilting on the horizon with two 87” x 99” quilts. 



I started a baby quilt using a variation of my new pattern at a class this week as well. It's coming together very fast. I pulled the fabrics from the bundle below. I only needed 4 fabrics for the top but I think I'll use some of the smaller pieces for the back. Maybe some strips. I liked how the fabrics in the second photo combined too. 





I've also joined the 2015 New Quilt Bloggers group. We've been sharing advice and tips for the past two weeks and it's been great. Stay tuned for a blog hop coming up soon!

2015 New Quilt Bloggers Group


Oh and I went for a nice paddle today. I almost ran over a turtle. Only with my kayak, though, so the turtle was safe. Then I waited for it to come back up again. Turtle watching is kind of like whale watching, only closer to home and more difficult. You wouldn't think it, but those turtles are stealthy creatures. Their heads popping up look like sticks and they don't make a sound. I looked and looked, paddling softly, but it evaded my lens. 

Come back, turtle!
It was one of those perfect 25 degrees, calm water, blue skies and faint breeze kind of days. Here's hoping for more days like this and time to sew :)

4 comments:

  1. Hello, I'm popping over from the New Quilt Blogger Hop; I participated last year. I blog over at www.quiltingmod.com. It sounds like the pattern you're developing is quite comprehensive! You certainly will have plenty of space to try out what you learned in the free-motion class. Your fabric pull is nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your free motion looks great! Can't wait to see what your new pattern looks like :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the loop-de-loops and the flames are my favorite of your FMQ designs - your samples look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much exciting news! You are such a tease... Can't wait to see your new pattern. You have me intrigued! Those fmq samples look fantastic. Looks like you are a natural!

    ReplyDelete